Sebastian Vettel on pole, Lewis Hamilton starts 4th in Hungary
Sebastian Vettel has qualified in pole position at the Hungarian Grand Prix with a time of 1:16.276.
Title rival Lewis Hamilton, who is just one point behind Vettel, could only finish in fourth.
Kimi Raikkonen ensured that Ferrari took the front row, while Hamilton’s teammate Valtteri Bottas will start in third.
Hamilton set the fastest time in Q2 but complained of tyre problems throughout the final stage to finish 0.431s behind Vettel.
Paul di Resta was drafted in at short notice by Williams after Felipe Massa pulled out of the race due to illness. The Scot had not driven in Formula 1 since 2013 but qualified in 19th, 0.7s behind teammate Lance Stroll.
Full Qualifying results
1. Sebastian Vettel (Ferrari) 1:16.276
2. Kimi Raikkonen (Ferrari) +0.168
3. Valtteri Bottas (Mercedes) +0.254
4. Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes) +0.431
5. Max Verstappen (Red Bull) +0.521
6. Daniel Ricciardo (Red Bull) +0.542
7. Nico Hulkenberg (Renault) +1.192
8. Fernando Alonso (McLaren) +1.273
9. Stoffel Vandoorne (McLaren) +1.618
10. Carlos Sainz Jr (Toro Rosso) +2.636
11. Jolyon Palmer (Renault) +2.139
12. Esteban Ocon (Force India) +2.219
13. Daniil Kvyat (Toro Rosso) +2.262
14. Sergio Perez (Force India) +2.363
15. Romain Grosjean (Haas) +2.495
16. Kevin Magnussen (Haas) +2.819
17. Lance Stroll (Williams) +2.826
18. Pascal Wehrlein (Sauber) +3.563
19. Paul di Resta (Williams) +3.592
20. Marcus Ericsson (Sauber) +3.696
DNS Felipe Massa (Williams)