Premier League: Manchester City go 15 points clear, West Ham strike late

Manchester City have extended their Premier League lead to 15 points after a 3-1 win over Watford.

Raheem Sterling sent Manchester City on their way to victory in the opening minute of their match against Watford, when he was found unmarked at the near post by Leroy Sane’s cross.

City were two goals up after just 13 minutes when Christian Kabasele turned the ball into his own net. Kevin de Bruyne could have made it three seven minutes later but his free-kick was tipped onto the crossbar by Heurelho Gomes.

The league leaders continued to dominate but Sergio Aguero was twice denied by Gomes. Aguero did get his goal in the 63rd minute though when he reacted quickest to poke home a rebound.

Watford did manage a consolation goal in the 82nd minute when Andre Gray slotted past Ederson.

Embed from Getty Images

An Andy Carroll double led West Ham United to a 2-1 win over West Bromwich Albion to lift the Hammers out of the relegation zone.

James McClean opened the scoring for West Brom on the half-hour mark in style, dribbling from inside his own half before beating Adrian from 20 yards.

West Ham were level on the hour mark. Carroll, who had missed from six yards earlier in the match, rose highest to meet Aaron Cresswell’s cross and direct the ball into the bottom left corner.

The Hammers secured a crucial late winner in stoppage time when Carroll finished off a team move to lift West Ham out of the relegation zone.

Embed from Getty Images

Tottenham went above Arsenal and kept the pressure on the top four with a 2-0 win at Swansea City.

Tottenham opened the scoring in the 11th minute when Christian Eriksen’s free-kick from the left byline was headed in by former Swansea striker Fernando Llorente.

Spurs dominated the first half, but Swansea could have equalised in the 40th minute. Nathan Dyer’s cross found Martin Olsson but the left wing back’s shot floated wide.

Just before the break, another Eriksen free-kick found Llorente’s head but the striker, stepping in for Harry Kane due to illness, could only send the ball over the crossbar.

Swansea should have equalised on the hour mark but Mike van der Hoorn’s shot hit the post from a set-piece.

The Swans continued to improve, with Andre Ayew and Dyer both testing Hugo Lloris.

Dele Alli guaranteed the points for Spurs with two minutes remaining. Kane, off the bench, sent a beautiful lofted pass into Alli’s path to bundle the ball into the roof of the net after his first shot was parried by Lucas Fabianski.

Embed from Getty Images

In the evening’s final match, Crystal Palace came from behind to beat Southampton 2-1 to move up to 14th in the table.

Shane Long had waited for a goal since February and it finally came when he directed Jeremy Pied’s cross into the top corner to open the scoring.

Christian Benteke forced Alex McCarthy into a brilliant save but Palace did eventually equalise when James McArthur’s strike went into the left corner.

Palace were then in front when Luka Milivojevic found the net from the edge of the box.

Oriol Romeu came close to equalising with four minutes remaining but his header shaved the outside of the post.

Premier League results in full: Southampton 1-2 Crystal Palace, Swansea City 0-2 Tottenham Hotspur, West Ham United 2-1 West Bromwich Albion, Manchester City 3-1 Watford

Embed from Getty Images

Cover Photo: Manchester City Crest by Guts Gaming used under license by CC BY 2.0.

You may also like...

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.