Lewis Hamilton wins record sixth British Grand Prix as Mercedes dominate
Lewis Hamilton has become the most successful driver in British Grand Prix history after winning for the sixth time at Silverstone.
Hamilton finished ahead of Mercedes teammate Valtteri Bottas, with Ferrari’s Charles Leclerc finishing in third.
Bottas started in pole position but was taken over when a safety car came out at the perfect time for Hamilton to pit and take first place.
Hamilton was able to dominate from there on in and extended his lead to win by 24 seconds.
Max Verstappen was on the hunt for a podium but he had to settle for fifth after he was rear-ended by Sebastian Vettel on lap 38.
The Dutchman was lucky to escape without damage but was passed by Red Bull teammate Pierre Gasly, who recorded a career-best finish of fourth, and Leclerc.
For Vettel, his race was ruined. A damaged front wing left him in 17th after pitting and a 10-second penalty for causing a collision added to his woes.
It was also a horror day for Haas. Romain Grosjean and Kevin Magnussen collided on the opening lap and both had to retire in lap seven.
Full British Grand Prix results
1. Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes, 1:21:08.452
2. Valtteri Bottas, Mercedes, +24.928
3. Charles Leclerc, Ferrari, +30.117
4. Pierre Gasly, Red Bull, +34.692
5. Max Verstappen, Red Bull, +39.458
6. Carlos Sainz, McLaren, +53.639
7. Daniel Ricciardo, Renault, +54.401
8. Kimi Raikkonen, Alfa Romeo, +1:05.540
9. Daniil Kvyat, Toro Rosso, +1:06.720
10. Nico Hulkenberg, Renault, +1:12.733
11. Lando Norris, McLaren, +1:14.281
12. Alexander Albon, Toro Rosso, +1:15.617
13. Lance Stroll, Racing Point, +1:21.086
14. George Russell, Williams, +1 lap
15. Sebastian Vettel, Ferrari, +1 lap
16. Robert Kubica, Williams, +1 lap
17. Sergio Perez, Racing Point, +1 lap
DNF Antonio Giovinazzi, Alfa Romeo
DNF Romain Grosjean, Haas
DNF Kevin Magnussen, Haas