Lions, New Zealand draw series after 15-15 thriller

The British and Irish Lions came from behind to draw 15-15 and share the series against New Zealand.

The boot of Owen Farrell, who scored all four of his penalties, levelled the score with just three minutes remaining after Elliot Daly had added a long-range penalty earlier in the match. Tries from Ngani Laumape and Jordie Barrett gave New Zealand the lead going into half time.

Sam Warburton committed a foul in the ruck to give the All Blacks their first penalty but Beauden Barrett missed the posts from long range.

Julian Savea had another chance to give New Zealand the lead, but he knocked on from Jordie Barrett’s pass with space ahead of him.

The deadlock was broken in the 15th minute. Beauden Barrett sent a looping kick wide to brother Jordie. He leapt above Daly and tapped the ball down to Laumape who crossed the line.

Farrell pulled three points back for the Lions with the boot five minutes later, and the deficit was closed to a point when the England centre struck another penalty.

New Zealand extended their lead to 12-6 before halftime. This time, Jordie Barrett crossed n the corner after a pass from Laumape.

The second half started perfectly for the Lions when Beauden Barrett’s kickoff was caught by an All Black before reaching the 10-metre line. It was Elliot Daly to take the ball this time, and he took the three points from inside the Lions half.

Five minutes later, Jerome Kaino was sent to the sin-bin for a reckless tackle on Alun Wyn Jones.

It took nine minutes but the Lions did eventually make the man advantage count. Brodie Retallick was penalised for a high tackle on Courtney Lawes and Farrell’s kick levelled the score.

New Zealand regained the lead with 12 minutes remaining when Kyle Sinckler was penalised in front of the post. It was a simple kick for Beauden Barrett to take the score to 15-12.

A penalty in the scrum inside the Lions’ 22 gave the touring side the chance to clear. The resulting lineout was won by the Lions, and another penalty was given just inside the New Zealand half.

Farrell levelled the score with just three minutes remaining, putting the ball through the posts from 40 metres.

The final penalty of the game appeared to be gifted to the All Blacks from the restart when Ken Owens went offside. After a TMO review, that decision was reversed – the ruling was that the offside was accidental and a New Zealand scrum followed.

With the score level going into the final minute, the Lions won the scrum. Rhys Webb drove forward but his pass towards Lawes was forward.

With time going dead, the All Blacks attacked. TJ Perenara found space on the right wing and headed towards the try line, but a Lions defender stopped him three metres out and took the ball out of play.

You may also like...

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.